I am curious about the ways that our daily lives are substantially different from those of ancient times. This is a running list:
- we got plastic, bitches!
- our soap is way better, and we have bleach if soap isn’t enough
- bleach is probably important enough for it’s own line. Really.
- concrete is pretty damn old, but I’m counting it.
- our decisions are shaped by advertising more than discussion
- we have a functional democracy. Just read the label on this can of worms and move on.
- the dialogue between eastern and western philosophy questions some of our most basic premises (ex nihilo, nihil fit)
- the internet might be the biggest change ever
- corn is planted much closer together, making an acre of land much more productive - at the expense of insecticide, nitrogen fertilizer, and fossil fuels
- popular education
- electric light